In Search of The Truth
Despite a never ending steady stream of sightings Bigfoot continues to be doubted in the scientific world. Ever since I was a kid I have been fascinated with the mystery of Bigfoot. From beef jerky to beer, advertisers use this creature’s mystic for attracting people to theme parks, zoos or show possibilities, and give a symbol of hope to ads. The reality is Bigfoot will not likely wander through your town anytime soon, but is Bigfoot a hoax or the real deal?
In this report I am going to take a look at both sides of the fence. Curiosity has killed the cat and I was looking for something really interesting to analyze. First I will review the skeptics (Scientific) side, then the believers (Cryptozoology) side.
Where Are The Wild Men Of The Forest in North America?
According to Google Earth and BFRO Reports, From 4/14/1967 TO 5/17/2009 here are all the sightings in North America. From 1977 to 2009 the have been 3724 Class A, B or C reports according to BFRO.
Is it possible that Bigfoot and other manly animals have existed right under our noses for millions of years? It seems unlikely to me but I really wish it was true. Wouldn’t that be the coolest thing to shake hands with Bigfoot? Countless researchers and Bigfoot hunts have taken place only to yield fragments of evidence. There is not any conclusive physical evidence in existence to prove this big furry beast is among us.
Who are the Believers?
In general Bigfoot Believers have 2 different Characteristics:
- It’s just simply unknown, unexplained but we accept Bigfoot looms in earth’s shadows.
- We recognize it as a mystical creature, supernatural or perhaps psychic. At times morphing into other creatures maybe becoming invisible or shape shifting, etc.
Do you Believe what you See or See what you Believe?
What do you see, Good or Evil? Look again!
Are many of these sightings based on human fears we have? When some of us think about Bigfoot we see images of a shadowy silhouette or giant creatures preying on innocent people in the dark of night. Do you believe Bigfoot is a scary beast with Shamanism qualities? Maybe your idea is a clearly defined giant sized hairy man that remains in the shadows of planet earth’s undiscovered terrain! There is always some preconceived notion in your mind of what things should look like. This is why human beings make terrible eye witnesses.
To take a closer look, Cryptozoology examines the hidden animal theories as a flesh and blood creature. It takes a more scientific point of view. For example they believe Bigfoot carries their dead away, that’s why we don’t find remains. A cryptozoologist studies animals that are hidden (cryptids).
From the early 1800’s Feejee mermaid (Fakelore- Hoax). The half man, half fish figure had been displayed for centuries.
Japanese Trawler Finds Plesiosaur in 1977
A Skeleton of a Japanese plesiosaur found in 1977. It was found by a Japanese Trawler. When it was found it was inspected by fishermen and discarded back into the ocean. CrypoZoologists were heart broken because it was a true Plesiosaur.
How Big is Bigfoot?
- Are there humongous creatures out there that have managed to avoid detection for this length of time? That is exactly what we will try to look into in this Bigfoot analysis. Below you can see Sasquatch in proportion with other mammals we do know.
- How does this fit within the realms of science or creatures resembling Bigfoot? The size is irregular to think they could sustain life for millions of years without more population evidence. If they exist, there clearly is a tiny population. At a glance, look at the four images above. Specifically look at the diameter of the bears legs. Now look at the diameter of Sasquatch. If Sasquatch is bigger his leg muscles would need to be a considerably larger diameter to support his weight.
- Where do they live? They are seen everywhere in North America with the highest concentration being in the Pacific Northwest. If they live all over, is it more or less likely they exist? It would make it less likely as we understand current species we have discovered. The mammals we have come to know have developed eating habits that are local to their surroundings. Bigger animals like bears spend much of their time finding food and eating. Bears are seen frequently in the wild. A large creature like Sasquatch would have to spend time in the open finding food.
- Minimum Population Size needed to Sustain Life- It is believed Bigfoot is a Decedent of an Asian Ape (Gigantopithecus). From roughly 4-5 million years ago, until now a population of these creatures must have existed, but how many? And how did they get separated from Gigantopithecus? We understand that if populations decrease a species can become extinct. It would be difficult for a large species to remain for millions of years without a strong population. To date there are no significant physical remains to examine. This also seems unlikely.
Types of Evidence
…recordings, sightings, prints, samples of blood, dna and hair
In science the probability of Bigfoot’s existence is very low. This does not mean it does not still loom the planet. Unfortunately all there is to offer science is recordings, sightings, prints, samples of blood, dna and hair. No bones have been found. Footprints have been castled from many locations. For example here is one from California;
In many of the Bigfoot prints the toes are very pronounced. This seems like a more deliberate footprint.
Footprint Comparison from 2 different parts of the USA.
The Famous Cripple Foot
Found by Grover Crance anthropologist- Bigfoot supporter that swears this print would be impossible to fake. On the other hand there are many people that have clubfoot deformities that may resemble this print.
Hoaxes and Pranks
1) Construction Manager in California 2002
A well known prankster in California, Roy Wallace (construction manger in California). Roy died in 2002 but when his family was questioned about the “fake footprints” they chuckled. Roy enjoyed going to places and planting the footprints as a hoax. Wallace maintains that his films, photos, and tapes are authentic.
Here is a picture of his son holding the custom sandals Roy made to walk with.
2) Six Rivers National Forest of northern California 1967
Probably one of the most viewed and well known sighting is the 1967 one where Bob Gimlin and Roger Patterson went saddleback into the hills of Northern California. They had a 16mm camera for the purpose capturing footage of Bigfoot. Wouldn’t you know it; they saw one on the river bank and captured it on camera.
Apparently this is a hoax too. Recently Bob Heironimus says he was hired by Gimlin in a premeditated plan to create a fake in an ape costume. His story has been verified both others that were also present.
3) Crew Searching For Bigfoot in the Woods outside Eureka 1976
Again in California a member of a film crew, while looking for the creature in the woods, got abducted by Bigfoot. It was suspected her abduction was a planned hoax to gain publicity. In the courts she (Cherie Darvell) was ordered to pay a part of the costs of search and rescue. Later her film makers came forward with more footage of her being carried off by Bigfoot.
1) A Footprint was spotted by a man in the southern parts of California 2005
He was a Bigfoot researcher. A woman that lived close to him claimed she saw a Bigfoot in her backyard. The footprint was found close to her yard location.
2) The Wilderness Hunter 1892- Book by Theodore Roosevelt
One of America’s icon presidents wrote a book “The Wilderness Hunter”. On pages 29 to 34 he describes an encounter he had with “A beast which has a strong odor, a “great” body and which walks on 2 feet.” During this time in Roosevelt’s life he was tracking bears in the wilderness and documenting his experiences. These documents went on to form his book, “The Wilderness Hunter”.
Evidently unheard, it reached the man, and broke his neck by wrenching his head back with its fore paws, while it buried its teeth in his throat. It had not eaten the body, but apparently had romped and gamboled around it in uncouth, ferocious glee, occasionally rolling over and over it; and had then fled back into the soundless depths of the woods. Source
We can look at footprints like unidentifiable objects. Cannot conclude anything yet.
3) Current BFRO Database History
This website has been online since 1995 investigating reports of Bigfoot sightings. They have a classification for their data base; Class A, B or C. You can visit this and make close attention to the Class A Reports. This organization is more focused on Bigfoot than
“Class A reports involve clear sightings in circumstances where misinterpretation or misidentification of other animals can be ruled out with greater confidence. For example, there are several footprint cases that are very well documented. These are considered Class A reports, because misidentification of common animals can be confidently ruled out, thus the potential for misinterpretation is very low.” Source
4) Bugs in the 1977 Shot 2 Bigfoot
A man named Bugs and two of his friends were avid hunters. Being Ex Viet Nam vets they were very good at hunting. They claim to have shot 2 creatures resembling Bigfoot. They buried the bodies fearing that they would be seen as part human by the law. Recently bugs has come forward to the news media (Art Bell) and told his story. I have listened to the full interview to the entire interview and the man who calls himself Bugs is telling the truth. He speaks of locating Bigfoot in the dark of night with spot lights and seeing the “reddest eyes” he has every seen. This event had a traumatic effect on Bugs and refuses to make his true identity known until he passes. He has left a detailed map with Art Bell (talk show Radio Host)
Slide show of Bigfoot as Seen Through Cameras
Video of Bigfoot sounds and pictures that may be real or Hoaxes.
What ever you want to call it, Wild man, Yeti, Almasti, Mono Rei, Yeren, Yowie, Orang Kubu, Bigfoot. Beruang Rambai, sasquatch, Orang Gadang, Zana, Ameranthropoides or loysi. This is the first known thermal image of Bigfoot recorded by bfro.
If you are hunting nocturnal animals there is no better tool than thermal imaging?
Favorite Bigfoot Sighting Spots
- Northern California on the Klamath River
- East of the Rockies
- North East Tampa
Matt Moneymaker Talks With George Noory
This resource is a place you can turn to report a sighting and have it properly investigated. They will classify your sighting after complete and investigating the report. When BFRO investigates sightings they may visit the scene and play recordings of known sounds Sasquatch makes. They often get replies! They kinda resemble coyote sounds. All recorded sounds commonly demonstrate a very large lung capacity. It is speculated the sounds are made in an attempt to communicate with there own kind. It is how they communicate. Reports of Bigfoot sightings date back 1000’s of years.
Young Bigfoot’s with grown ups have been spotted. Matt goes on to explain that they are descendants of the Asian Ape, NOT African. In many of the investigation females are used to test if the creature is less apprehensive with a female. It works; women seem to consistently collect the best footage and information on Bigfoot expeditions. They are less intimidated by females. The problem is finding females that are not too afraid.
Grover Crance also had this theory about the Asian Ape (Wooded or Orangutan ape).
Facts N’ Fun Stuff
- Gorillas were discovered in the 1800’s
- 200 years ago Gorillas were considered to be mythical beasts
- A common characteristic that describes Bigfoot is patience
- All Bigfoot sightings describe a similar shape; large, furry, agile
- In Folklore we see the things we expect to see
- Red Panda Escapes from zoo and everybody sees it after all point bulletin is announced
- In North America the first Bigfoot sightings were in the 1950’s
- Sasquatch is a salish Indian term describing Wildman
- Who really lives in the dark divide
- Have your read Legend meets Science?
- Some newspaper reports date back to the 1700’s with Bigfoot sightings
- There are over 400 reports a year of Bigfoot sightings
- http://bfro.net/ is a Well known Bigfoot research organization
- By nature people are poor observers and see what we want to see
- The Mono Grande Haunts the Forests of South America
- According to Bigfoot databases there continue to be over 400 sightings every year.
- There are more sightings in the Pacific North West than anywhere else
- Bigfoot smells really bad but the odor is localized
- Hair samples have been recently analyzed to resemble the DNA of primates. The analysis showed uniqueness unlike any other mammals on record
- Some believe they are telepathic animals. Robert W. Morgan has seen cases where Bigfoot retaliates to aggression and award kindness
- New Bigfoot Photos Investigation
- Bigfoot Encounters
Bigfoot Shooting Story about Bugs
- Loren Coleman is one of the world’s leading crypto zoologists.
- Cliff Barackman Thermal Imaging
- Matt Moneymaker, owner of BFRO
- Robert W. Morgan- First sighting in 1957.
Well there you have it. If you think you may have seen a Bigfoot be sure to speak with BFRO first.
Having taken this analysis into the depths of believers and non-believers it seems possible to say that a creature like Bigfoot does exist. Even though scientists give the Bigfoot legend less than a 50% likelihood of being true, do wildly men of the woods exist? There are many stories with the exact same description. Is it because they saw it or a hoax? There must be some truth with all the matching reports!
If you are a skeptic there’s not a lot of meat on the scientific side. At this point there is nothing that science can latch onto. Even the “Bugs” story aired on the Art Bell Talk show in 2001 seems to have no findings to 2009. In the end, I want to believe but there’s just not enough to go on.
Once you find out that you have seen Bigfoot, you should try to report it right away, so the details remain fresh in your mind. It’s the way we will eventually find out about the myth.